Synology has just released the DS213j NAS server. The unit is a 2-bay NAS with 512MB RAM and designed with a cool white design which will fit nicely in every office or home.
The DS213j is designed with low noise and energy efficiency in mind so it will be perfect as your first NAS server.
With a fast CPU and 512 MB DDR3 RAM you can easily run several processes on the DS213j without the cost of performance.
I am bit disappointed that the DS213j does NOT support SATA III and that the external HD interface is NOT USB 3.0. I know that several other not Synology NAS units are using SATA III which is a lot faster than SATA II. I do know that QNAP has several new NAS units equipped with SATA III.
Synology DS213j hardware specifications
The DS213j is not a high end NAS server from Synology but it will provide good performance and flexibility in the home or in small business where the number of users are limited. It is the perfect solution for your home cloud storage.
- CPU Frequency: 1.2GHz
- Hardware Encryption Engine
- Memory: DDR3 512MB
- Internal HDD/SSD: 2 x 3.5″ or 2.5″ SATA(II) (I recommend hard disks from Western Digital or Intel if you are going to use SSD)
- Max Internal Capacity: 8TB (2X 4TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)
- External HDD Interface: USB 2.0 (This is bit disappointing. Why not USB 3.0)
- Weight : 0.91 Kg
- LAN : 1 x Gigabit
- Wake on LAN/WAN (This is a nice feature)