I just bought the Voyager Q Disk Docking Station from Newertech that will replace my old Sandberg Disk Docking Station. I am big fan of disk docking station because of the flexibility with raw disks. Take a raw 2.5 or 3.5 inch hard disk and put in your docking station, connect the docking station to your Mac/PC and you have data access. Very easy and very useful. It use my docking station once a week when I am backing up the data on my Mac Mini. A docking station is an important part of my data backup strategy. I use the docking station to create an identical clone of my data so I can insert the cloned hard drive into my Mac Mini if needed.
My plan is also to use the Voyager Q to clone of my mirrored disks in my Synology DS211+ NAS once a week if possible.
The reason that I bought the Voyager Q was it that has many port/interfaces so there are many connection possibilities and I like that. I am used to use USB 2.0 on my Sandberg docking station but the Voyager Q uses USB 3.0 which is a LOT faster. When I clone or create a disk image based on the data on my Mac Mini disk (120 GB data currently) it will take about 30 minutes, that is more than 50 minutes faster than before.
I gave nearly 85 US dollars for the Voyager Q but I use a docking station very often, so I do not mind buying a quality docking station like the Voyager Q.
Voyager Q features
The Voyager Q has many nice features and I will list some of them here:
- Support 2.5″ and 3.5″ SATA I/II/III drives and SSD drives.
- Support drives up to 4 TB.
- Hot-Swap for multiple SATA drives.
- Nice compact design.
- Easy Plug and Play for Mac/PC.
- Weighted base and rubber feet. (A lot more stable than my old Sandberg docking station)
- Eject button for easy disk removal.
Voyager Q specifications
Here are some of the most important specifications on the Voyager Q. I do like the high transfer rates.
- 1 x eSATA port
- 2 x FireWire 800 (1394b) ports
- 1 x FireWire 400 (1394a) port
- 1 x USB 3.0 port (compatible with USB 2.0)
- eSATA transfer rates – 3.0Gb/s
- FireWire 800 transfer rates – 800Mbps
- FireWire 400 transfer rates – 400Mbps
- USB 3.0 transfer rates – 3.0Gb/s
Voyager Q includes
The Voyager Q is bundled with a cable for each port available on the base station so no need to buy cables. It is all there. The following cables are included:
- 1 x Double Shielded FireWire 800 connecting cable (9-9 Pin cable).
- 1 x Double Shielded FireWire 400 connecting cable (6-6 Pin cable).
- 1 x USB 3.0 (Standard-B to Standard-A) USB 2.0 backwards compatible cable.
- 1 x Double Shielded eSATA connecting cable.
The Voyager Q is a great tool and if you have lot of data that you want to backup this is the tool for you. You can transfer much data very quickly and time is money.